One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A charity sale at which people bring items for sale and buy those brought by others.‘we are holding a bring and buy on Tuesday’as modifier ‘Jill organized bring-and-buy sales to raise cash’
fete, fair, jumble sale, sale, bring-and-buy sale, car boot sale, carnivalView synonyms
- ‘The appeal will encourage children around the UK to hold bring and buy sales to raise money.’
- ‘Viewers have been holding bring and buy sales to raise money to help thousands of children in Tanzania.’
- ‘They planned a bring and buy sale and encouraged the whole school to come dressed as their favourite movie star.’
- ‘All members are asked to attend, as arrangements for a bring and buy sale and a day trip will be dealt with.’
- ‘But you can't raise the money for something like that with raffles and bring and buys.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.