One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A brownish or tawny colour of animal fur, with streaks of other colour.‘coat colours included red, brindle, and yellowish cream’
- ‘I look for one of these awesome creatures - are they bipeds, quadrupeds, spotted or brindle?’
- ‘The coat comes in a variety of colors, including blue, black, brindle and the striking harlequin.’
- ‘The classic color is fawn with a black mask, but the breed also comes in pinto, white and brindle.’
- ‘The hounds were black, red, silver-grey and brindle, tall and narrow, with tapered muzzles and dark narrow eyes.’
- ‘Their short, close-lying coats most often occur in one color, fawn, or in one pattern, brindle.’
- 1.1count noun An animal with a brindle coat.‘he is hoping the speedy brindle can retain the cup’
- ‘There was a time in our breed history when brindles cropped up occasionally.’
- ‘On these brindles you will find good, strong stripes on one side and very light makings on the other.’
- ‘Most brindles appear striped, although some only have different shades of brown that seem more patchy.’
- ‘The genes responsible for our red dogs are recessive to those responsible for our brindles.’
- ‘In breeding blue merles to brindles the only colors that really suffer will be the reds and brindles.’
(especially of a domestic animal) brownish or tawny with streaks of other colour.‘a brindle pup’
tawny, brownish, brownView synonyms
- ‘He remembered he had often cursed the brindle cow and her mates, and had sometimes flung milking stools.’
- ‘Arnie pointed at a fat brindle cat sitting on top of a stack of hardbacks.’
- ‘His brindled hide had lost its luster, the short hair mottled by patches of dried blood.’
- ‘He was a deep ginger color, with darker chocolaty brindle markings.’
- ‘A spotted one sniffed left, a brindle one sniffed right.’
- ‘Both fawn and brindle boxers frequently sport white markings.’
Late 17th century: back-formation from brindled, alteration of Middle English brinded, probably of Scandinavian origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.