Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Polished metalwork on ships or other vehicles.
- ‘Also while I had the brightwork off the boat, I removed the pop-top cover for cleaning and repairs.’
- ‘She has taught brightwork seminars at the Center for Wooden Boats.’
- ‘She was all brightwork, and the varnish below decks was his pride and joy.’
- ‘As the surface area grew, so, too, did the need for more brightwork to identify the make.’
- ‘Tough as the rule sounds, Detroit was glad to get a specific rule on brightwork.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.