One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A good part of something that is otherwise entirely bad or unpleasant.‘the songs are a bright spot in a dreary movie’
- ‘If there is a bright spot, it's that the automakers have a lot of new cars in the pipeline aimed at capturing the buying public's imagination.’
- ‘Online sales, typically a bright spot, grew only 8.4%.’
- ‘The musical sequences are the bright spot in the show.’
- ‘The one bright spot in my life is my friends and the ways I can help them.’
- ‘Millions of tourists are expected for the swearing in, a bright spot for businesses during these tough times but bad news for a cash strapped host city.’
- ‘He was the bright spot in my little son's life.’
- ‘It was a bright spot in a year of difficulties and discouragements.’
- ‘The one bright spot in an otherwise bleak picture is the increase in aid from non-governmental organizations.’
- ‘However Tuesday night's results offered one bright spot for the president and his party.’
- ‘The rebuilding has been a bright spot amid the anger and disappointment that accompanied many of the church closings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.