One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A clever or witty person.‘some bright spark in the agency came up with the idea of rippling silk with a cut in it’
intelligent person, learned person, highbrow, academic, bookworm, bookish person, man of letters, woman of letters, bluestocking, thinker, brain, scholar, sageView synonyms
- ‘What a pity the bright sparks who made Kind Hearts and Coronets are all dead!’
- ‘But you may ask - or some bright spark of a child may ask for you - why?’
- ‘We'll never even find out who the bright spark was who made this terrific decision.’
- ‘There are many bright sparks out there, and l trust they are not put off by your ramblings.’
- ‘Also this week, some bright sparks in the auto industry suggested it would be useful to network our cars.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.