One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A clever or witty person.‘some bright spark in the agency came up with the idea of rippling silk with a cut in it’
intelligent person, learned person, highbrow, academic, bookworm, bookish person, man of letters, woman of letters, bluestocking, thinker, brain, scholar, sageView synonyms
- ‘We'll never even find out who the bright spark was who made this terrific decision.’
- ‘Also this week, some bright sparks in the auto industry suggested it would be useful to network our cars.’
- ‘What a pity the bright sparks who made Kind Hearts and Coronets are all dead!’
- ‘There are many bright sparks out there, and l trust they are not put off by your ramblings.’
- ‘But you may ask - or some bright spark of a child may ask for you - why?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.