Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The principal staff officer to the brigadier in command at the headquarters of a brigade.
- ‘Eden fought in the First World War, ending it as the youngest brigade major in the British Army.’
- ‘The adjutant general will issue orders to the brigade majors.’
- ‘He returned to Victoria as brigade major of the 15th Infantry Brigade.’
- ‘As we walked away from the chateau, the brigade major passed us on his horse.’
- ‘In 1934, however, he returned to India on exchange as brigade major of the 8th Indian Brigade.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.