Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The principal staff officer to the brigadier in command at the headquarters of a brigade.
- ‘Eden fought in the First World War, ending it as the youngest brigade major in the British Army.’
- ‘In 1934, however, he returned to India on exchange as brigade major of the 8th Indian Brigade.’
- ‘As we walked away from the chateau, the brigade major passed us on his horse.’
- ‘He returned to Victoria as brigade major of the 15th Infantry Brigade.’
- ‘The adjutant general will issue orders to the brigade majors.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.