Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Surprised by the briefness of the conversation, I stuttered back, ‘O-okay, I guess.’’
- ‘Despite its briefness, Mason's work is the best of the three actors who are first billed in the film.’
- ‘Despite the briefness of that glimpse, she could tell that they were in serious trouble.’
- ‘Despite the briefness of the play, there is certainly no lack of depth here.’
- ‘This briefness is to be regretted, but at least they are there and this is to be welcomed in a work of this type.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.