One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A meat pasty.
- ‘Dampen the edges of the bridies and fold the top half of the pastry over the filling to enclose it fully.’
- ‘Where else can you see a stone throw, eat bridies and research your family history, all at the same place?’
- ‘Scots have eaten bridies for more than 300 years.’
- ‘The bridie looks something like a Cornish pasty which has been put on its side.’
- ‘We wanted to go listen to the pipe bands, eat bridies and drink beers.’
Perhaps from obsolete bride's pie.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.