Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The promotion of friendly relations between groups:‘the teaching force has been less willing in recent years to devote unpaid hours to community bridge-building’
- ‘I think it may even be a genuine attempt at bridge-building.’
- ‘This will require leadership, compromise and bridge-building.’
- ‘However, Medici's bridge-building policy proved no better at preventing revolt.’
- ‘The alliance needs a bridge-building policy to resolve its military problems.’
- ‘Your work of years of bridge-building can be undone in minutes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.