One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sum of money or quantity of goods given to a bride's family by that of the groom in some tribal societies.‘the larger bride price given for a virgin’mass noun ‘payments of bride price from the husband's kin’
- ‘The groom is expected to pay a bride price in the form of cash and several animals.’
- ‘If a husband has been unfaithful, he has to pay her family with a gift that equals the original bride price.’
- ‘When a man chooses a potential wife, he negotiates a bride price of money or cattle with the woman's father.’
- ‘A bride price is paid by the groom's family.’
- ‘Traditionally, the young man is expected to pay a bride price and move in with the wife's family on marriage.’
- ‘The bride price was not a payment but compensation to the parents and the family for the ‘loss’ of a family member.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.