One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small goose with a mainly black head and neck, breeding in the arctic tundra of Eurasia and Canada.
- ‘During our latest visit to the reserve brent geese were the main attraction.’
- ‘You can help them by reporting sightings of brent geese away from the coast.’
- ‘The Eastern Canada population of light-bellied brent geese is relatively small, comprising perhaps only 20,000 birds.’
- ‘Ten brent geese being tracked by radio transmitters have reached Canada's arctic.’
- ‘The grazing intensity of wintering brent geese was monitored on areas of grass pasture.’
Late Middle English: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.