Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Electromagnetic radiation produced by the acceleration or especially the deceleration of a charged particle after passing through the electric and magnetic fields of a nucleus.[as modifier] ‘bremsstrahlung radiation’
- ‘The restricted energy loss for muon bremsstrahlung with relative transfers can be calculated as follows.’
- ‘This information is addressed to colleagues working in the field of bremsstrahlung and related areas.’
- ‘Go back to the bremsstrahlung spectrum and see how it fades gradually to zero for long wavelengths.’
- ‘When taken up by obstacles, beta particles produce a more penetrative secondary radiation known as bremsstrahlung.’
- ‘The energy radiated as bremsstrahlung is typically 100000 times smaller than the energy lost to the plasma electrons.’
1940s: from German, from bremsen to brake + Strahlung radiation.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.