One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Short trousers fastened just below the knee, now chiefly worn for riding or as part of ceremonial dress.‘a pair of buckskin breeches’
- ‘They had a habit for wearing breeches under their dresses for such little rides like these.’
- ‘He was still a little mad she had worn breeches under her dress.’
- ‘I washed and dressed in brown breeches and a black coat, not wanting to be encumbered by my heavy cloak.’
- ‘Each dressed exactly the same as the next, in brown leather riding breeches and tunics the color of dried blood.’
- ‘He was dressed in tan breeches with black boots to the knee.’
- ‘She was dressed in beige breeches, a black sweater and riding boots.’
- ‘He was stocky and dressed handsomely in his breeches and blouse.’
- ‘When I looked to the man, I could see he was dressed in these brown breeches and a greenish tunic.’
- ‘She had braided her hair, and dressed in breeches and tunic, her riding gloves tucked into her belt.’
- ‘He was dressed in burgundy velvet breeches, waistcoat and frock, with a silk and lace white shirt.’
- ‘He was dressed in black breeches, a white loose shirt and cravat, and a long black jacket.’
- ‘She was dressed in bright red breeches tied with a cord inlaid with silver thread.’
- ‘He was dressed in black breeches and a royal color shirt with a black cloak around him.’
- ‘She was wearing orange and red breeches, tied just below the knees.’
- ‘The girl facing him was dressed in muddy breeches and a soft grey-green shirt.’
- ‘These costumes include tricornered hats, silk jackets, and riding breeches.’
- ‘She would run to the forest, leave the dress and, wearing breeches and shirt, go back to the castle.’
- ‘She hurriedly dressed into breeches and a loose fitting shirt.’
- ‘He wore a dark blue tunic and even darker blue riding breeches.’
- ‘Cate was perched high in a tree, clad in a loose men's shirt and riding breeches.’
- 1.1informal Trousers.
Middle English: plural of breech.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.