One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Short trousers fastened just below the knee, now chiefly worn for riding or as part of ceremonial dress.‘a pair of buckskin breeches’
- ‘These costumes include tricornered hats, silk jackets, and riding breeches.’
- ‘He was dressed in black breeches, a white loose shirt and cravat, and a long black jacket.’
- ‘He was dressed in burgundy velvet breeches, waistcoat and frock, with a silk and lace white shirt.’
- ‘She was dressed in bright red breeches tied with a cord inlaid with silver thread.’
- ‘She would run to the forest, leave the dress and, wearing breeches and shirt, go back to the castle.’
- ‘When I looked to the man, I could see he was dressed in these brown breeches and a greenish tunic.’
- ‘Cate was perched high in a tree, clad in a loose men's shirt and riding breeches.’
- ‘She was wearing orange and red breeches, tied just below the knees.’
- ‘She hurriedly dressed into breeches and a loose fitting shirt.’
- ‘She had braided her hair, and dressed in breeches and tunic, her riding gloves tucked into her belt.’
- ‘He was dressed in tan breeches with black boots to the knee.’
- ‘He was stocky and dressed handsomely in his breeches and blouse.’
- ‘Each dressed exactly the same as the next, in brown leather riding breeches and tunics the color of dried blood.’
- ‘She was dressed in beige breeches, a black sweater and riding boots.’
- ‘They had a habit for wearing breeches under their dresses for such little rides like these.’
- ‘He was dressed in black breeches and a royal color shirt with a black cloak around him.’
- ‘He wore a dark blue tunic and even darker blue riding breeches.’
- ‘He was still a little mad she had worn breeches under her dress.’
- ‘The girl facing him was dressed in muddy breeches and a soft grey-green shirt.’
- ‘I washed and dressed in brown breeches and a black coat, not wanting to be encumbered by my heavy cloak.’
- 1.1informal Trousers.
Middle English: plural of breech.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.