One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A metal block which closes the aperture at the back part of a rifle or gun barrel.
- ‘The extractors eject the cartridge case and retain the breechblock in the fully open position.’
- ‘In addition to new breechblocks and hammers, the older extractor was replaced with a newer design.’
- ‘This caused delay of several days, but once the new breechblocks were completed one by one the guns were rushed to use.’
- ‘Lowering the operating lever dropped the breechblock and extracted the spent cartridge.’
- ‘Tip the end of the breechblock downward enough for the striker to slide out the back of the block.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.