One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A metal block which closes the aperture at the back part of a rifle or gun barrel.
- ‘Tip the end of the breechblock downward enough for the striker to slide out the back of the block.’
- ‘In addition to new breechblocks and hammers, the older extractor was replaced with a newer design.’
- ‘The extractors eject the cartridge case and retain the breechblock in the fully open position.’
- ‘This caused delay of several days, but once the new breechblocks were completed one by one the guns were rushed to use.’
- ‘Lowering the operating lever dropped the breechblock and extracted the spent cartridge.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.