One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A traditional southern African dish consisting of a stew of meat (typically mutton) and vegetables.
- ‘Waterblommetjie bredie is regarded as a great delicacy in the Western Cape.’
- ‘They are famous for bredies made with mutton, tomatoes, cabbage, or local plants.’
- ‘The author explains that the washed buds can be stewed or can be used with mutton in a bredie.’
- ‘Keep an eye on ‘The Pot of the Day’, as this could be anything from bredies to a Warthog Stroganoff.’
- ‘English South Africans eat a diet similar to that of the British, though with local variations such as bredies, or stew.’
Afrikaans, perhaps from Portuguese bredo, denoting several species of Amaranthus, sometimes cooked as a vegetable.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.