One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- past and past participle of breed
usually in combination (of a person or animal) reared in a specified environment or way.‘the bareness of the scene intimidated the city-bred Elizabeth’
- ‘Specially bred horses (all stallions no more than 14 hands high) were fed and housed in lavish stables and great forts.’
- ‘Here, different bred animals are set loose in the city.’
- ‘Much of the delivery work was done by half-draft or specially bred horses.’
- ‘A company once asked him to see if its specially bred beans caused less gas than ordinary beans.’
- ‘As Luni rode through town, mounted on his exquisitely bred horse, she decided that life with him might not be so bad.’
- ‘Yet for the time they are alive, these carefully bred animals are treated to a lavish lifestyle before they face mortal combat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.