Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Producing or causing an audible sound of breathing, typically as a result of physical exertion or strong feelings:‘a breathy laugh’
- ‘She heard him let out a tiny, breathy laugh, and her heart sank.’
- ‘My voice was so low and breathy it sounded more affectionate than was meant.’
- ‘Patty's breathy vocals will have you wanting to slow dance in the foothills of West Virginia.’
- ‘Regaining the ability to speak, her voice came out breathy.’
- ‘Speaking in a breathy tone, Faith says ‘Your divorce must have been so painful.’’
- ‘There is something breathy in the way she says this, a catch in the throat.’
- ‘The voice may sound breathy, raspy, strained and rough in quality.’
- ‘Her voice was more breathy than she would have liked.’
- ‘I asked, noticing the breathy sound to my voice that I had not meant to be there.’
- ‘At that moment, I absolutely hated how breathy my voice sounded.’
- ‘But no sound came from them, only a small breathy gasp echoed pathetically around the large kitchen.’
- ‘This British babe's breathy vocals are instantly refreshing.’
- ‘Her sigh, breathy and almost wistful, was edged with relief.’
- ‘I held them aloft, closed my eyes, turned my face to the heavens, and exhaled a breathy YES!’
- ‘Here he laughed a little, but it was a strange laugh; breathy and not at all happy-sounding.’
- ‘She tilts her head in coy emulation and goes all breathy.’
- ‘The creature's voice was very breathy but deep and scratchy.’
- ‘We were escorted to our seats by a breathy young hostess.’
- ‘After Leslie let out a breathy laugh, I heard a knock on the doorframe and looked over my shoulder.’
- ‘Her breathy vocals are unsettling, her glacial detachment lazy and too often irritating.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.