Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Astonishing or awe-inspiring in quality, so as to take one's breath away.‘the scene was one of breathtaking beauty’
spectacular, magnificent, wonderful, awe-inspiring, awesome, astounding, astonishing, amazing, stunning, stupendous, incrediblethrilling, excitingsensational, out of this world, fabulous, fantastic, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, amazeballswondrousView synonyms
- ‘To see these crowds running around in different directions in front of you with no slow-down was breathtaking.’
- ‘The breathtaking new images from Mars have the seductive familiarity of holiday snapshots.’
- ‘It was a breathtaking tour, with dazzling blue waters on one side and broad flat shorelines on the other.’
- ‘What did those people know about the breathtaking beauty of nature and her wares?’
- ‘The setting is a breathtaking reminder of the wondrous beauty of our province.’
- ‘In her paintings, she is able to express a breathtaking religious ecstasy.’
- ‘These great performances are supplemented by quite breathtaking visuals of a phenomenal quality.’
- ‘Start at the top end of town for the sheer breathtaking spectacle, if nothing else.’
- ‘The result is spectacular, breathtaking, and needs to be seen to be grasped fully.’
- ‘The cinematography is breathtaking and every element of the production design feels authentic.’
- ‘That said, all this breathtaking footage had to be broken up somehow.’
- ‘The views down all three branches of the lake are breathtaking.’
- ‘The alpine air was inspirational, and the view from the tower at the summit was breathtaking.’
- ‘The music is exhilarating, the costumes are breathtaking, and the acting is superb.’
- ‘The sensuality of the moment is breathtaking, causing cheeks to blush and pulses to pound.’
- ‘Three particular decisions made by Government are breathtaking in their foolishness.’
- ‘It's a rugged county with a spectacular and breathtaking coastline, full of history and legend.’
- ‘As a photographer, I am, of course, touched by the breathtaking beauty of our wildlife.’
- ‘Eyes that sparkled with all the mystery and magic of the dream lit up a face of breathtaking beauty.’
- ‘At the peak, the 360 degree view of the surrounding valley is breathtaking on a clear day.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.