Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Follow closely behind someone.‘three wins would have seen us breathing down the neck of United at the top of the table’
- ‘He was always right behind me, breathing down my neck.’
- ‘Furthermore, France may be breathing down your neck.’
- ‘Take one last look in your rear-view mirror at that muscle-bound, angular-featured SUV bully breathing down your neck.’
- ‘He has a lead, but Kerry is breathing down his neck.’
- ‘The claustrophobic camera follows him around the workshop, breathing down his neck.’
- 1.1 Constantly check up on someone.‘she's quite capable of looking after herself without her parents breathing down her neck all the time’
harass, pester, nag, go on at, keep on at, keep after, badger, hound, harry, harp on at, chivvy, trouble, bother, worry, torment, annoy, plague, bedevil, persecuteView synonyms
- ‘You had to live with your parents breathing down your neck 24/7.’
- ‘If you quit breathing down my neck once in a while maybe I can actually do something right here!’
- ‘The quicker Darlene can get her anger out, the less time you'll have to spend with her breathing down your neck.’
- ‘She tells him, ‘It must be hard to grow up when your father is breathing down your neck all the time.’’
- ‘Stifling a laugh is terribly hard, especially if the librarian is breathing down your neck from over ten feet away.’
- ‘‘I'm my own boss, there's no one breathing down my neck,’ he said.’
- ‘I wanted to enjoy some free time without her breathing down my neck.’
- ‘I've got the king breathing down my neck constantly.’
- ‘I can't sleep with you breathing down my neck.’
- ‘I've got enough things to deal with without you breathing down my neck all the time.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.