Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of the police) use a breathalyser to test how much alcohol (a driver) has consumed:‘he was later breathalysed at Cirencester Police Station’
- ‘O'Carroll pointed out that having a zero limit would mean breathalyzing everyone that got into a car.’
- ‘Perhaps it's ministers who need breathalysing.’
- ‘He was breathalysed at the police station at about 12.02am.’
- ‘If they'd breathalysed me at that moment I would have been way over the limit, but of course I had my feet firmly on the ground.’
- ‘Without breathalysing the cows individually, it seemed, there would be no way of knowing for sure.’
- ‘Don't be tempted to have a quick one before you set off; all climbers are stringently breathalysed!’
- ‘If police are able to breathalyse drivers for alcohol, there is no reason why they should not take mouth samples.’
- ‘My wife had heard the other driver say that he had been at the Golf Club and asked the police to breathalyse him.’
- ‘They were both breathalysed and then carted off to the nearest police station.’
- ‘He breathalyses her which suggests she has twice the legal limit of alcohol in her bloodstream.’
- ‘The introduction of testing for illegal drugs is being conducted in tandem with breathalysing for alcohol in the workplace.’
- ‘Yet when he breathalysed me the result was negative my homeopathic booze had beaten the system.’
- ‘We'll breathalyse them on the way out.’
- ‘Over the last two years, an average of 12,000 drivers were arrested and breathalysed.’
- ‘I've been stopped and breathalysed a few times but I've never been over the limit.’
- ‘Ideally, a community nurse should visit daily to monitor progress and, if possible, breathalyse for alcohol.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.