One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A low temporary defence or parapet.
- ‘Up ahead were gentle country hills, picket fences - and what looked like breastworks and fortifications.’
- ‘When the fighting died down, the Confederates hastily constructed breastworks to protect their gains.’
- ‘Everything the actor owned formed a crude breastwork ten yards from the chipped cinder-block front step.’
- ‘There was probably a timber breastwork along the top.’
- ‘The regiment gained the enemy's breastworks and the affair at Boykin's Mills was over.’
- ‘The scouts barricaded themselves behind tree trunks and threw up breastworks of fallen trees.’
- ‘A submachine-gunner delivers more accurate fire using the breastwork to steady his weapon.’
- ‘He ordered soldiers to tear down breastworks and use the logs to feed the fires.’
- ‘Behind these natural breastworks, the company fired repeated volleys at the approaching horsemen.’
- ‘‘Take it slow, guys,’ a sergeant of the Pennsylvanians called out as the troops approached the fortifications and breastworks.’
- ‘From this cover, they swept the flats in front of their breastworks with withering gunfire.’
- ‘The bombs exploded in the air and sailed into the breastworks, throwing up great clouds of dirt.’
- ‘Militiamen dug in their heels behind meager breastworks and awaited the arrival of their adversaries.’
- ‘The cavalry horses were watered at the spring, and the men settled in their breastworks.’
- ‘Yet I still felt muddled, as the breastwork became more defined in the clouds of smoke from the firing of muskets.’
- ‘Russell sent his family to safety, then made a breastwork from a pile of shingles at his front door.’
- ‘It threaded through the hills which surrounded the Empire's capital like a huge, natural breastwork.’
- ‘Upon further inspection of the breastworks, I have come to the conclusion that the town was almost impregnable.’
- ‘They worked to erect small semicircular breastworks from the many rocks that dotted the terrain.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.