Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small brooch or badge worn on the chest, typically to fasten a garment.
breastpin, pin, clasp, clip, fastening, badgeView synonyms
- ‘Figures of them were sold in the form of photographs, watercolor studies, breastpins and carvings.’
- ‘Cameo breastpins were a favorite with many, while nearly every girl had her ears pierced for earrings.’
- ‘A New York company used several car loads of Cannel yearly in making finger rings, breastpins and buttons.’
- ‘Against the strict rules of your order, you use an arc and compass breastpin.’
- ‘Fathia lost a breastpin of 36 diamonds and 25 sapphires.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.