One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large piece of shaped timber fitted in the bows of a ship, used to connect the sides to the stem.
- ‘Then I sanded the edges of the decks to fit and just glued them to the bulkheads, breasthooks, and each other.’
- ‘An open paddle canoe is a traditional canoe with gunwales, breasthooks, yokes and seats.’
- ‘The breasthook is glued and fastened to the stem before the stem is attached to the frame.’
- ‘I built breasthooks out of some 3/4’ pine shelving that was left over from another project.’
- ‘I plan to bring the cloth over the breasthook on each end and this should add further strength.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.