One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large piece of shaped timber fitted in the bows of a ship, used to connect the sides to the stem.
- ‘The breasthook is glued and fastened to the stem before the stem is attached to the frame.’
- ‘I plan to bring the cloth over the breasthook on each end and this should add further strength.’
- ‘Then I sanded the edges of the decks to fit and just glued them to the bulkheads, breasthooks, and each other.’
- ‘An open paddle canoe is a traditional canoe with gunwales, breasthooks, yokes and seats.’
- ‘I built breasthooks out of some 3/4’ pine shelving that was left over from another project.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.