One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Win a race.
- ‘The winner is expected to breast the tape shortly after 7.40 am.’
- ‘After only 10 overs, the pair had rattled up 85 before taking a more cautious approach and they eventually breasted the tape in the 16th.’
- ‘She breasts the tape in a world record time to top off a memorable year.’
- ‘I am also 73, and I can tell him that if he has never had the thrill of scoring a try, hitting a six or breasting the tape at the end of a 100-yard dash, then he has definitely missed out.’
- ‘Well, our most distant ancestors only make an appearance in the last split-second of the race, just as the exhausted winner breasts the tape.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.