One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Bleeding from the uterus occurring between menstrual periods, a side effect of some oral contraceptives.
- ‘Side effects of breast tenderness and breakthrough bleeding, concerns about breast and ovarian cancer, gall bladder disease, and thromboembolic events, may all contribute to low adherence rates.’
- ‘The most frequent cause of breakthrough bleeding with OCPs is progestin-induced decidualization and endometrial atrophy, which result in menstrual breakdown and irregular bleeding.’
- ‘Women taking both St. John's wort and birth control pills have reported breakthrough bleeding and menstrual irregularities.’
- ‘A low incidence of breakthrough bleeding was also reported.’
- ‘There were no significant differences between the groups in terms of breakthrough bleeding, although there were significantly higher rates of breakthrough bleeding and spotting during cycles 1 and 2 in the patch group.’
- ‘Adverse effects attributed to HRT include breast tenderness, breakthrough bleeding, cancer (breast or endometrial) and thromboembolic disorders.’
- ‘If breakthrough bleeding continues, consider changing oral contraceptives with additional progesterone or estrogen depending on when in the cycle the problem occurs.’
- ‘There was 1 episode of breakthrough bleeding 3 years prior to presentation.’
- ‘Most instances of anovulatory bleeding are examples of estrogen withdrawal or estrogen-progestin breakthrough bleeding.’
- ‘The incidence of breakthrough bleeding appears to be higher with formulations containing lower estrogen doses.’
- ‘We know we are taking too much when we get side effects such as bloating, breast tenderness, or breakthrough bleeding.’
- ‘The breakthrough bleeding that occurs with progestin-only contraceptives is usually worse during the first few months of use and relates more to changes occurring in the endometrium than to fluctuating endogenous hormones.’
- ‘A more even flow of hormones in the patch provides better-regulated menstrual cycles and less breakthrough bleeding.’
- ‘Even one missed pill can cause breakthrough bleeding.’
- ‘Concomitant use of rifampin and oral contraceptive pills can lead to breakthrough bleeding and an increased risk of pregnancy.’
- ‘About six months earlier, the patient began to experience troublesome breakthrough bleeding.’
- ‘Progesterone is not the answer either, as administering it during susceptible periods of the menstrual cycle could disturb the reproductive system causing breakthrough bleeding, breast tenderness, and other side-effects.’
- ‘When breakthrough bleeding occurs, increase to two pills daily for 5 days, then return to a single pill daily.’
- ‘When compared with ethinyl estradiol/desogestrel, both products had similar low rates of spotting and breakthrough bleeding, which progressively lessened with duration of product use.’
- ‘The most common side effects are nausea and vomiting, breakthrough bleeding and spotting, headaches, bloating or swelling, and breast tenderness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.