One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pitch thrown in such a way that the ball drops or curves just before reaching the batter.‘Karstens threw a breaking ball right down the middle and Johnson hit it out’
- ‘"When I saw him earlier, he could get anxious and chase breaking balls out of the zone," the scout says.’
- ‘I warm up with a couple of fastballs, breaking balls, off-speed pitches, then one last fastball.’
- ‘Jackson's fastball reached 98 mph, and he mixed in a sharp breaking ball.’
- ‘He went to Arizona to work on hitting breaking balls.’
- ‘The club likes Durbin's arm strength and breaking ball and asked him to work on his change-up during the winter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.