One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pitch thrown in such a way that the ball drops or curves just before reaching the batter.‘Karstens threw a breaking ball right down the middle and Johnson hit it out’
- ‘Jackson's fastball reached 98 mph, and he mixed in a sharp breaking ball.’
- ‘I warm up with a couple of fastballs, breaking balls, off-speed pitches, then one last fastball.’
- ‘He went to Arizona to work on hitting breaking balls.’
- ‘The club likes Durbin's arm strength and breaking ball and asked him to work on his change-up during the winter.’
- ‘"When I saw him earlier, he could get anxious and chase breaking balls out of the zone," the scout says.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.