One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An energetic and acrobatic style of street dancing, typically to hip-hop or funk music, developed by black people in the US.
- ‘But then it's not often that break-dancing, yoga and techno marry with traditional ballet and Tchaikovsky's score.’
- ‘They dare not do a disco because they fear an outbreak of drug-taking and break-dancing or both!’
- ‘I plan on doing some of my old break-dancing moves.’
- ‘It continues to evolve and the head-spinning moves and kicks form the basis of break-dancing.’
- ‘‘To us, hip-hop is many styles: break-dancing, pop-locking; intense, ridiculous choreography,’ Bunch said.’
- ‘If you're sick of all this break-dancing nonsense and are looking for a more traditional way to cut a rug, tap dancing with Pierre is what you need.’
- ‘This doesn't always work, but when it does, it seems inspired, like Ismaël's break-dancing routine in the hospital.’
- ‘Andrew's had great fun from a remote control car, one that flips, spins, and does a pretty good impression of break-dancing.’
- ‘Employing some of the moves left over from his break-dancing days, James' dialed-in exuberance carried over to his entire performance and left him hungry for more glory.’
- ‘From ballet to break-dancing, people are being encouraged to put on their dancing shoes in York as part of the city's annual festival of dance.’
- ‘Activities start tomorrow around 10 am with a break-dancing competition.’
- ‘There is a perception that men have this proclivity to shine when it comes to break-dancing, and the women doing it are just scraping by.’
- ‘Fans anticipate seeing their break-dancing moves every time the three are together.’
- ‘You can see very specific break-dancing moves in these works.’
- ‘Of course, break-dancing battles often turned violent and people fought at parties that showcased hip hop culture.’
- ‘Whether you take ballet, tap, or Irish clogging classes every single day, bust some break-dancing moves on the playground, or choreograph dances to your favorite songs when no one else is home, it makes no difference.’
- ‘They formed themselves into a circle and they were doing something which kinda looked like break-dancing but it wasn't.’
- ‘Parkour is a meeting of various physical elements - skateboarding, martial arts, break-dancing.’
- ‘For many visitors, these workshops might be a first ever opportunity to try out Djing, break-dancing and/or the other art forms on offer.’
- ‘At first, the audience confused the movements with some type of new showbiz production number - some kind of break-dancing, but then they realized the music was too slow.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.