One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An energetic and acrobatic style of street dancing, typically to hip-hop or funk music, developed by black people in the US.
- ‘At first, the audience confused the movements with some type of new showbiz production number - some kind of break-dancing, but then they realized the music was too slow.’
- ‘Activities start tomorrow around 10 am with a break-dancing competition.’
- ‘Whether you take ballet, tap, or Irish clogging classes every single day, bust some break-dancing moves on the playground, or choreograph dances to your favorite songs when no one else is home, it makes no difference.’
- ‘Andrew's had great fun from a remote control car, one that flips, spins, and does a pretty good impression of break-dancing.’
- ‘It continues to evolve and the head-spinning moves and kicks form the basis of break-dancing.’
- ‘‘To us, hip-hop is many styles: break-dancing, pop-locking; intense, ridiculous choreography,’ Bunch said.’
- ‘I plan on doing some of my old break-dancing moves.’
- ‘But then it's not often that break-dancing, yoga and techno marry with traditional ballet and Tchaikovsky's score.’
- ‘Fans anticipate seeing their break-dancing moves every time the three are together.’
- ‘For many visitors, these workshops might be a first ever opportunity to try out Djing, break-dancing and/or the other art forms on offer.’
- ‘This doesn't always work, but when it does, it seems inspired, like Ismaël's break-dancing routine in the hospital.’
- ‘They formed themselves into a circle and they were doing something which kinda looked like break-dancing but it wasn't.’
- ‘From ballet to break-dancing, people are being encouraged to put on their dancing shoes in York as part of the city's annual festival of dance.’
- ‘There is a perception that men have this proclivity to shine when it comes to break-dancing, and the women doing it are just scraping by.’
- ‘Parkour is a meeting of various physical elements - skateboarding, martial arts, break-dancing.’
- ‘Employing some of the moves left over from his break-dancing days, James' dialed-in exuberance carried over to his entire performance and left him hungry for more glory.’
- ‘They dare not do a disco because they fear an outbreak of drug-taking and break-dancing or both!’
- ‘If you're sick of all this break-dancing nonsense and are looking for a more traditional way to cut a rug, tap dancing with Pierre is what you need.’
- ‘You can see very specific break-dancing moves in these works.’
- ‘Of course, break-dancing battles often turned violent and people fought at parties that showcased hip hop culture.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.