One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
phrasal verbNorth American
Cause someone to become extremely upset.‘seeing the children again nearly broke her up’
- ‘Obviously he was broken up over the loss of his livelihood, so why was this man laughing?’
- ‘That income helped us make ends meet, but my little sister had to stop taking dance lessons, and she was broken up about it.’
- ‘Like all satirists from Juvenal on he is broken up about the march of folly.’
- ‘I cannot understand that, and it just breaks me up terribly.’
- ‘Gordon had been crying for a week, but that song broke him up anew.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.