One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
phrasal verbNorth American
Cause someone to become extremely upset.‘seeing the children again nearly broke her up’
- ‘That income helped us make ends meet, but my little sister had to stop taking dance lessons, and she was broken up about it.’
- ‘I cannot understand that, and it just breaks me up terribly.’
- ‘Obviously he was broken up over the loss of his livelihood, so why was this man laughing?’
- ‘Gordon had been crying for a week, but that song broke him up anew.’
- ‘Like all satirists from Juvenal on he is broken up about the march of folly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.