One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Exert oneself to the utmost to achieve something.‘he had to break his neck to make Price's work look good’
- ‘I am beginning to feel out of step because I'm not breaking my neck to grow my business.’
- ‘But tonight showed the contrast between a guy who's finished his agenda and a guy who's breaking his neck to implement a new agenda.’
- ‘I support this, although I wouldn't break my neck to fight for it.’
- ‘I'm afraid I've lost a bit of respect for the people I've been breaking my neck to represent.’
- ‘You do not seem to enjoy being in their company, even though Natasha breaks her neck to make you comfortable.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.