One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Score the first run of one's innings.
- ‘He really broke his duck last Sunday, though, a little lucky to survive a run-out chance on his way to 114.’
- ‘Heysham finally broke their duck in the top flight of local cricket - with a fairly routine six wicket triumph over fellow strugglers Ibis.’
- ‘They can break their duck next Saturday at Clifton Park against lowly Old Crossleyans.’
- ‘The bloodlust was almost satisfied as the Tasmanian tried to break his duck with a risky run to cover, where Kevin Pietersen pounced and threw and missed the stumps by the length of a rat's tail.’
- ‘In October 2004 they came within one wicket of their inaugural Test victory, against Pakistan at Multan, and earlier this year they finally broke their duck by seeing off their fellow minnows, Zimbabwe, in a two-Test home series.’
- 1.1British Make one's first score or achieve a particular feat for the first time.‘it was not until injury time that the Dark Blues broke their duck’
- ‘The Rotherham defence was under pressure straight away in the second half and they held out well until Cueto finally found a way through and broke his duck for the season, with van Straaten again on target.’
- ‘But we will be looking for Dele to break his duck in tomorrow's game.’
- ‘Slipper finally broke their duck in York John Smith's Ladies Darts League division one in a hard battle at Flag.’
- ‘Paradise Isle, runner-up in all her three races and narrowly beaten at York on Evening Press Sunday Raceday, seeks to break her duck at Pontefract tomorrow.’
- ‘The 3-1 victory at Lancaster City on Tuesday broke their duck in terms of both goals and points this year.’
- ‘In the midweek game between Tottenham and Manchester City the young Portuguese front man Postiga finally broke his duck and netted his first goal for the club, he then ran to the stand of Spurs fans and threw his shirt into the crowd.’
- ‘Ashton broke his duck against Boro and will be looking for Huckerby to use his pace to provide him with a scoring opportunity to demonstrate why Worthington paid £3 million for his services.’
- ‘It was rare, the captain pointed out, for novice sailors to break their duck with a Channel crossing.’
- ‘Skipton finally broke their duck after 48 minutes when Mark Davison burst free and fed winger Matthew Wilson, who scored an unconverted try.’
- ‘On the other flank, former Halifax winger Oli Marns broke his duck in his seventh game and went on to claim a hat-trick.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.