One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Put great effort into achieving something.‘as soon as we finished I'd break my back to get home to her’
- ‘Yesterday, when I was being smeared and pelted with snow while breaking my back, my neighbor cleared his tiny, non corner walk in about 3 minutes and then went back inside.’
- ‘Ain't it good enough that I'm out here breaking my back for them?’
- ‘‘All it costs is €30 a month and you get staff who will break their back for you in terms of loyalty,’ he said.’
- ‘I break my back for pedagogy and love of my subject!’
- ‘‘It really will not break your back if you smile around this place,’ Watts told the group.’
- ‘We have more, varied, fresher and cheaper food than ever before - and nobody has to break their back on the land to get it to us.’
- ‘I have no desire to break my back on the wheels of capitalism, or prostrate myself before it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.