Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Become severed.‘the fuselage had broken off just behind the pilot's seat’
snap off, come off, become detached, become separated, become severedView synonyms
- ‘It began life as a separate ice tongue roughly the size of Belgium before breaking off and floating into the Southern Ocean.’
- ‘He developed a massive blood clot that formed in his leg veins, broke off and travelled to his lungs.’
- ‘The rubber blade eventually broke off and we were stuck in the rain with only one good blade.’
- ‘She reaches for a strand of hair and twists it tightly around her finger pulling so tight that I can see the tiny hairs snapping and breaking off.’
- ‘Every time I grabbed anything on the side of the rock to try to stop my descent, it broke off and came with me.’
- ‘Had to mow the law, though - usually a simple joy, but a pain since the lawn mower handle broke off.’
- ‘When pieces of the ice broke off, they pushed over the pieces next to them, like books falling on a shelf.’
- ‘They suspect that part of the lava dome broke off, sending melted ice from a glacier onto hot rocks below.’
- ‘They have been left out of pocket after a vital part broke off their electric fire.’
- ‘Two of the chairs legs broke off in a loud snap from the force of the blow.’
2Abruptly stop talking.‘she broke off, stifling a sob’
- ‘But he broke off when he remembered that he was talking to the enemy, not an ally.’
- ‘Faith and Grace who had been telling him something, abruptly broke off, when Father got up and rushed over to me.’
- ‘As he was saying this, his son John appeared and he broke off.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.