One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Take down a tent or the tents of an encampment ready to leave.
- ‘They were nearly silent for the rest of that afternoon, even after they broke camp and continued on their way for the remainder of the day.’
- ‘After days of preparation, they were finally ready to break camp for good.’
- ‘Finally, on the morning of July 18 the regiment broke camp and boarded the transport Pennsylvania to ship out for the Philippines.’
- ‘They set up the camp, cook meals and break camp, leaving the traveler to enjoy the trek without the physical hardship of toting heavy packs.’
- ‘The couple broke camp at first light and continued their trek.’
- ‘Afterwards we broke camp, and piled into the hummer again.’
- ‘We were more than eager to be up early the next morning, and wordlessly broke camp, and trudged along after Matt, peering through the thick air for a rooftop, a sure sign of the next rest stop to come.’
- ‘I immediately broke camp and headed for the Cimarron River Valley, southwest of Gunnison, on a tip from a local farmer who said it was one of his favorite places in the world.’
- ‘They broke camp, and then mounted their horses.’
- ‘In the morning they broke camp and continued riding.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.