One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Win a game in a tennis match against an opponent's service.‘he broke serve twice in the third set’
- ‘She had made what appeared to be a killer kick for home in the third set, breaking Williams 's serve and moving ahead 4-2.’
- ‘He breaks Scott 's serve for the first time with a sizzling forehand.’
- ‘She broke her serve the two following times to take the first set 6-1 in a rapid 24 minutes.’
- ‘When the Italian broke his opponent's serve in the third set to lead 3-2 it seemed victory was within his grasp.’
- ‘At 6-6, Agassi was a point away from breaking his opponent's serve.’
- ‘I didn't have a proper warmup and she broke my serve right away,’ said the 17-year-old Russian, who won Sunday's Korea Open.’
- ‘He's playing with so much power that I knew it would be tough to break his serve.’
- ‘The 26-year-old dominated most of the match, breaking the Italian 's serve three times in a 6-1 first set, and again in her opening service game in the second.’
- ‘I don't think he broke Dent 's serve the entire match.’
- ‘He saved match point seven times, and also had eight chances to break the American 's serve.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.