One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Win a game in a tennis match against an opponent's service.‘he broke serve twice in the third set’
- ‘I don't think he broke Dent 's serve the entire match.’
- ‘She broke her serve the two following times to take the first set 6-1 in a rapid 24 minutes.’
- ‘She had made what appeared to be a killer kick for home in the third set, breaking Williams 's serve and moving ahead 4-2.’
- ‘He saved match point seven times, and also had eight chances to break the American 's serve.’
- ‘At 6-6, Agassi was a point away from breaking his opponent's serve.’
- ‘He's playing with so much power that I knew it would be tough to break his serve.’
- ‘When the Italian broke his opponent's serve in the third set to lead 3-2 it seemed victory was within his grasp.’
- ‘He breaks Scott 's serve for the first time with a sizzling forehand.’
- ‘I didn't have a proper warmup and she broke my serve right away,’ said the 17-year-old Russian, who won Sunday's Korea Open.’
- ‘The 26-year-old dominated most of the match, breaking the Italian 's serve three times in a 6-1 first set, and again in her opening service game in the second.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.