One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instance of breaking something off or of discontinuing something.‘the break-off of the talks was temporary’
- ‘One part of the show was a break-off into her ‘Piano Bar’ in which she sang a couple of songs by other artists.’
- ‘However, we don't want the lead to be fixed in such a way that, should you get a break-off, the lead remains permanently tethered to the trace and to the pike.’
- ‘This is just one of a range of community-based events around the country such as dance parties, hip-hop classes, break-offs, a youth car show, and sports events.’
- ‘However, their impersonal nature can lead to increased interview break-offs and low response rates, perhaps because they squander any rapport that the interviewer may develop with the respondent.’
- ‘They had never heard of Independence Day or Yom Yerushalayim, or even about Purim or Chanukah - none of the latter historical events that took place subsequent to their break-off from the Jewish nation.’
- ‘The reorganisation of the parties at this time is an indication of trasformismo, because there was no authentic break-off from the dominant party but merely the formation of another ideologically similar party.’
- ‘Sasmito warned that a forced break-off would only impair the country's image before international investors.’
- ‘In contrast to T-ACASI, however, the presence of interviewers may improve data quality and reduce interview break-offs because interviewers can respond to requests for clarification.’
- ‘Only the inevitable break-off and patch-up remain, and Petrie makes up for his shoddy handling of those crucial sequences by keeping them mercifully short.’
- ‘The prevalence of these stories indicates that ice break-offs and risky ice conditions have been regular occurrences in the past.’
- ‘Late-season break-offs significantly affect the ice conditions the whale hunters will face in the spring.’
- ‘But the main message from the world's biggest concentration of Antarctic scientists in Hobart, in Australia's southernmost city, is of retreating West Antarctic ice and massive break-offs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.