One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a direction parallel with a thing's width.‘she worked squaring the stacks so that they alternated, first lengthwise, then breadthwise’
- ‘It is a long shaped island with a total length of 31 kilometers and breadthways 8 kilometers.’
- ‘The first layer shall be applied lengthwise and the second or the last layer should be applied breadthways.’
- ‘Most stamp seals are perforated lengthwise, many are unperforated, and very small minorities are perforated breadthwise.’
- ‘With a removable chalk pencil draw lines through the center of the fabric both lengthwise and breadthwise.’
- ‘The transport was conducted by five lorries in total whereof - due to the oversize of 2.99 metres breadthways and the weight of 31 tons per tank - two were special-purpose vehicles.’
- ‘They extend themselves there lengthways from east to west, and breadthways from north to south; but the breadth to appearance is less than the length.’
- ‘She was then rebuilt, with her hurricane deck expanded breadthways.’
- ‘It was of soft leather, and about eight inches wide, sewed lengthways and breadthways in small squares, in which, I presumed the diamonds were deposited.’
- ‘Then, by concentrating on the various standardized contracts of different companies, comparing them breadthways and lengthwise, I reach a conclusion that these standardized contracts, which neglect consumers’ rights with unfair content, are in urgent need of regulating.’
- ‘Beads are woven lengthwise and breadthwise into the human story.’
- ‘The main island Madeira is about 59 km in length and breadthways about 26 km.’
- ‘Therefore, the boat was equipped with fifteen watertight compartments, strictly divided up lengthways and breadthways, so she could stay afloat whatever happened.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.