Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A long, thin, crisp piece of baked dough.
- ‘The garlic breadsticks that they had out as appetizers were delicious.’
- ‘Meanwhile, standards like unlimited refills of the family portion garden salad and breadsticks help reinforce the idea of sharing among families, said Setta.’
- ‘Add in a little more water or milk if the soup is too thick, reheat if the soup is too cold, and serve in pretty bowls, with a thick slice of fresh country bread or crispy Italian breadsticks.’
- ‘Our breadsticks are called grisini in Italian and this area is famous for beef and veal.’
- ‘He ordered two cheese pizzas, breadsticks, water and three chicken soft tacos.’
- ‘The nuts, olives and breadsticks are a nice touch.’
- ‘We eat it with breadsticks, descendants of the biscotto, the twice-baked everlasting ship's biscuits that kept a trading empire alive.’
- ‘We are having roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, breadsticks, and salad.’
- ‘That is, until tomorrow when I inform Jon that the only thing I can fathom eating and keeping down is all-you-can-eat salad and breadsticks.’
- ‘After ordering a large pepperoni pizza and breadsticks, Roman turned his attention back to his friends.’
- ‘And I guess we'll just order pizza and breadsticks for dinner.’
- ‘It adds robust flavor to focaccia, homemade breadsticks or quick breads such as biscuits or scones.’
- ‘If you don't want to skip the bread course entirely, ask for whole-grain bread, rolls or breadsticks.’
- ‘She is also fond of risotto, mild goat's cheese, olives, breadsticks and pitta bread, especially if she can dunk them in some creamy hummus.’
- ‘I still hadn't decided what I wanted when the waitress came to take our drinks and drop off some salad and breadsticks.’
- ‘Look how happy they are with their bottomless salad and breadsticks.’
- ‘‘Fettuccini Alfredo, Caesar salad, and breadsticks,’ Mom was saying to Ashley when I walked in the door.’
- ‘Our waiter brought us a basket of fresh baguette, warm onion rolls and some sublime spiced, herbed breadsticks that were baked on the premises.’
- ‘The next meal to be served was a salad as well as breadsticks.’
- ‘All entrees come with unlimited soup, salad and breadsticks!’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.