Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of food) coated with breadcrumbs and then fried:‘breaded scampi’
- ‘The dish consisted of five or so chicken medallions, slightly breaded and liberally seasoned, on a bed of creamed spinach.’
- ‘We sat on the sea walls, swinging our legs, and filling our mouths with salty, breaded seafood, as we inhaled the salty fresh air.’
- ‘The new menu, which offers dishes such as sweet and sour chicken and breaded sole, will feature fresh produce rather than processed food.’
- ‘Consumers can learn about the use of soy in various foods, such as breaded tofu sticks, soy shakes, and roasted soy nuts.’
- ‘We decided on the breaded spam, garlic rice, barbeque sauce and iced tea.’
- ‘The meat was breaded and cooked to perfection, served with home-fries and carrots.’
- ‘He saw that the hotboxes held breaded chicken strips.’
- ‘Try its breaded bananas to get your night off to a great start.’
- ‘His breaded pork escalopes come tender but crunchy with unctuous buttery anchovies and fried egg, an interesting spin on the Weiner Schnitzel theme.’
- ‘I also had deep-fried breaded mushrooms as a starter, which I wasn't overly impressed with as it was very generic and not very Indian.’
- ‘Stay away from packaged prepared breaded meats as well as processed meats to a large extent.’
- ‘They were covered in a fine, breaded crust and came with a garlicky dip - very tasty.’
- ‘They have wonderful calamari, pale as dawn light, scantly breaded, quickly fried, and just as buoyant as a breeze.’
- ‘And these recipes look delicious: spicy Indian fried fish, breaded pork steaks, fried onion rings, and sweet potato fritters.’
- ‘Paul lifted the lid off his serving platter to reveal huge pieces of breaded pork covered in sweet-and-sour sauce on a bed of freshly steamed white rice.’
- ‘The lightly breaded lemon chicken was crisp, tender and well-matched with a refreshingly more-tart-than-sweet lemon sauce.’
- ‘Not feeling all that hungry, I chose to go with the fried breaded peppers stuffed with feta cheese for my main course.’
- ‘The katsudon is a deep-fried and breaded pork cutlet served with a sauce that has a dark, rich flavour somewhat like a tangier steak sauce.’
- ‘The breaded meat, fried to crispness, is served with mashed potatoes and a simple salad on the side.’
- ‘Your bar is clean, smart, funky and sells wonderful breaded mushrooms and decent draught beer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.