One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rich, heavy cake or pudding made from pieces of bread soaked in milk and baked with eggs, sugar, dried fruit, and spices, eaten hot or cold.
- ‘Desserts here have been a weak link, from a tough-crusted fruit tart to tough-skinned profiteroles to a too-goopy bread pudding.’
- ‘Hot bread pudding with vanilla rum is better than any other I've ever tried.’
- ‘Some, like the moist, fruit-studded bread pudding molded into individual cupcake form, are stunning.’
- ‘As a dessert lover, I applaud the apple crisp and banana-and-white-chocolate bread pudding.’
- ‘There's also a hopped-up version of banana bread pudding and a delicious-sounding but ultimately failed variety of pot sticker stuffed with diced apples and overly sour goat cheese.’
- ‘There's a decent version of flan with a hard, almost enameled caramel top, and a somewhat leaden guava bread pudding made heavier by a layer of plantains.’
- ‘To serve, invert a timbale of bread pudding on to the center of a plate and remove the timbale mold.’
- ‘We shared chocolate bread pudding (which tasted like a soulless brownie) and apple crumb cake which was a depressing affair.’
- ‘Old-fashioned bread pudding served with caramel or lemon sauce is a dessert that brings back memories of mother bustling around in the kitchen.’
- ‘Five dollars will get you a rich disc of bread pudding made with buttery pieces of brioche, and a crowd of fat, rum-soaked raisins.’
- ‘When you hear people talk about crawfish etouffe, bourbon-cured salmon, red rice, sweet potato creme brulee or praline bread pudding, the mind automatically goes to either the Low Country or New Orleans.’
- ‘Finally the last ticket comes in, and I plate the pineapple ganache, bread pudding and crème brulee at record speed.’
- ‘Other desserts include bananas or papaya in caramel and cream sauce, bread pudding with custard, coconut or banana tarts, delicious coconut sorbet, and a mean coconut nougat.’
- ‘All too often, bread pudding is too heavy and solid, but I could have gone for another slice of this stuff.’
- ‘Chocolate-cherry brioche bread pudding manages to be simultaneously chewy and light, none of its rich flavors insisting too hard.’
- ‘Four of us duked it out over a single piece of surprisingly likable Key lime pie, the house bread pudding having sold out by 5 p.m.’
- ‘For dessert, there's a blood-orange mousse, served like a Napoleon between wafers of orange tuile, and there's also a wedge of bread pudding soaked in Portuguese brandy.’
- ‘Lucky for me, I've made bread pudding before and it's pretty easy.’
- ‘Dessert was warm chocolate bread pudding with 12-year-old Glenfarclas, which tastes of sweet sherry.’
- ‘Better to try the very respectable coconut cream pie or dizzyingly rich maple bread pudding.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.