One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long knife with a serrated edge, for slicing bread.
- ‘I set up the board and pull out my bread knife, my chef's knife, my paring knife and my peeler.’
- ‘I found that a serrated bread knife did the best job.’
- ‘This is most easily done with a large serrated-edged knife or a bread knife.’
- ‘I slice the loaf in two, carefully using my extra-sharp bread knife on my nifty bamboo cutting-board.’
- ‘A school security guard had seen a bread knife with a 10-inch blade in the bed of the teen's pickup.’
- ‘So bits of twine, a broken bread knife and half-empty bags of last year's mouldy bulb fibre are squirrelled away in my shed.’
- ‘When he refused, one of the attackers produced a seven-inch knife, similar to a bread knife, and threatened him again.’
- ‘On August 20, she was seen outside her home holding a bread knife.’
- ‘Some people used sharp wires to level a cake - that is, to skim off the bump on the top that occurs naturally when baking, but I preferred to use a long bread knife.’
- ‘Remove the cake layers from the pans and cut both cake layers in half horizontally, using a serrated bread knife.’
- ‘He returned moments later with the steaming bread on the cutting board, complete with a bread knife.’
- ‘So, he got out his bread knife and trimmed the quarter-loaf down to a couple of slices of dry toast.’
- ‘Take your sharpest serrated bread knife and cut the stick in half across the middle.’
- ‘A small saw or serrated blade such as an old bread knife can be used.’
- ‘While still hot, remove the crusts with a bread knife, halve, and stack in a special rack.’
- ‘She poked at the crumpled snakeskin with the bread knife and asked, ‘What did you think you were playing at, bringing that filth into my kitchen?’’
- ‘Kelley slid silently to the kitchen drawer, selecting an old bread knife.’
- ‘I was starting to really like the look of the bread knife.’
- ‘Cutting your lawn with a bread knife is a lot of work, too, and will fill your day up like nothing you've ever seen.’
- ‘Recently I've added a bread knife I bought at a trade show because the salesman made me think I couldn't live without it, and a box of baking tubes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.