Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A letter expressing thanks for hospitality.
- ‘‘Every advertisement I write for the U.S. Travel Service,’ he muses, ‘is a bread-and-butter letter from a grateful immigrant.’’
- ‘When I got to where Julian was telling Ethan about the B and B, I remembered that I had a story in my files - my mixed-up files - a story about a young man named Noah whose mother insists that he write his grandparents a bread-and-butter letter, a B and B letter.’
- ‘To describe the restaurant's service it's worth reading the review (a bread-and-butter letter) of our guest-fan.’
- ‘This review, then, is my bread-and-butter letter: ‘Thank you for the complicated joys of your companionship.’’
- ‘Communications shortcuts like these and thank-you cards are a much bigger part of the stationery business than they were when the bread-and-butter letter was required writing.’
- ‘Again, I wait, bending close to study the exhibits taped on the hallway wall: Receipts, group photos, bread-and-butter letters from the Policeman's Benevolent Association, each inserted into a protective cellophane sleeve.’
- ‘Even his bread-and-butter letters are original and interesting.’
- ‘Although none of us had slept away from home, the troop leader taught us to compose bread-and-butter letters.’
- ‘He never forgot birthdays, bread-and-butter letters or calls to give his students, his friends, playwrights and actors best wishes for their first nights.’
- ‘Write a bread-and-butter letter to the adults who were most responsible for your visit.’
- ‘I received not only a splendid bread-and-butter letter from him, but thereafter he frequently wrote to me from school and, if he was not ill, I took him out with us when I visited my own two sons.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.