Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Intermittent weak contractions of the uterus occurring during pregnancy.
labour pains, labourView synonyms
- ‘The Braxton Hicks contractions only help to prepare, or exercise, the uterus for labor and delivery.’
- ‘It sounds like you are experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions, which are the dress rehearsal for real labor.’
- ‘Tightenings of the uterus, known as Braxton Hicks contractions, become stronger in the third trimester.’
- ‘The majority of pregnant women experience Braxton Hicks contractions during different stages of pregnancy.’
- ‘Towards the beginning of true labour Braxton Hicks contractions may become more frequent, stronger and even painful.’
Early 20th century: named after John Braxton Hicks (1823–97), English gynaecologist.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.