Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘She had a flawless peaches-and-cream complexion and ash-blonde hair, which, if occasionally aided by the peroxide bottle, lacked the brassiness of some of her contemporaries'.’
- ‘Or opt for the highlighting kit with a unique squeeze-bottle applicator comb that mimics the salon weave/foil process and a shampooing toner to reduce brassiness.’
- ‘Less laudable was the mono soundtrack, which has areas of dullness and areas of brassiness.’
- ‘I noticed pronounced brassiness in some of the musical numbers, and the subwoofer lacked oomph in scenes where I thought it should kick in harder.’
- ‘I like its brassiness, its in-your-face quality.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.