Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘This is ended by a loud and brassily heroic version of the Fellowship theme as the iconic scene of the nine walking over the mountain plays out, signifying the beginning of the journey.’
- ‘Cue some self-realization and brassily independent fulfillment of long-held rock-star fantasies.’
- ‘If it's in response to something somebody else says, fine, but how does you independently stating, loudly and brassily, that you're not a fan add to the overall happiness level of the world?’
- ‘As brassily entertaining as its no-holds-barred protagonist, the series' debut season is presented in its entirety with this collection of 11 episodes.’
- ‘Still, there's a brassily strident edge of G.I. Joe-ness to the proceedings.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.