Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small aquatic crustacean of the class "Branchiopoda" , such as a water flea or fairy shrimp.
- ‘The two-part, hinged carapace encloses the entire body, similar to the branchiopod Conchostraca.’
- ‘They have elongate bodies compared to most other living branchiopods, with leaf-like appendages that they use to swim belly up.’
- ‘One such androdioecious branchiopod is the clam shrimp Eulimnadia texana.’
- ‘At the same time, both genera have well-developed, multiannulate first antennae, whereas modern branchiopods have dwarfed first antennae without much of annulation or segmentation at all.’
- ‘Freshwater bivalves, snails, and branchiopod Crustacea were common.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.