One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lucky dip in which the hidden items are buried in bran.
- ‘There's to be a Bonny Baby Competition, Fancy Dress, Puppet Show, face painting, balloons, bran tub, games, tombola, cakes and bric-a-brac.’
- ‘She added that the fair would feature a range of other attractions as well as Father Christmas, including tombola, lucky lollies, bran tub, a raffle with a bike as a prize and crafts.’
- ‘In the bran tub of languages that is the ‘foreign’ chunk of my brain, you frequently end up with a little linguistic surprise.’
- ‘The Big Ranch shoves a hand into the musical bran tub and comes up with something reminiscent of The Band.’
- ‘Who knows how she chooses her TV scripts - by herself, through an agent or by pulling contracts out of a bran tub - but the projects have been bafflingly poor.’
- ‘Other, smaller operations mix digital, print, TV and broadcast in a bran tub that gives time for everything but finding original stories.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.