Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Pieces of grain husk separated from flour after milling.with modifier ‘oat bran’as modifier ‘our regular morning bran cereal’
- ‘But cereals made with whole wheat, oats or bran are as healthful as they are convenient.’
- ‘If you don't like plain oatmeal, try oat bran or cold cereal made with oatmeal or oat bran.’
- ‘The authors were unable to find any research that indicates the digestibility of the fiber fraction of the rice bran.’
- ‘Such breads rank comparatively high in fiber content because their wheat bran and wheat germ have not been removed.’
- ‘Your best sources of fiber are bran cereals, whole-wheat bread, legumes and oatmeal.’
- ‘This is followed by a mixture of rice with bran, jaggery, coconut shreds and cardamom.’
- ‘Wheat bran and the skins of fruits and vegetables are sources of insoluble fiber.’
- ‘Since small amounts of these are present in wheat bran and in rye, wholemeal and rye breads tend to colour quickly when toasted.’
- ‘If they contain a carbohydrate, it's usually oat bran, wheat bran or inulin.’
- ‘They also know a thing or two about ferulic acid, a natural antioxidant that's abundant in rice and oat bran.’
- ‘Vegetables, wheat bran and other whole grains are good sources of insoluble fiber.’
- ‘Refined white flour is what's left after the nutrient-packed germ and bran are milled out of the wheat kernel.’
- ‘Foods such as spinach, rhubarb and wheat bran can decrease calcium absorption.’
- ‘Look in my kitchen cabinets today, and you'll find oat bran and couscous and whole-wheat pitas.’
- ‘In a food processor, mix together the butter, sugar, flours and bran flakes until well combined.’
- ‘Add extra fiber to your diet by eating cereals that contain bran or by adding bran as a topping on your fruit or cereal.’
- ‘His company has developed a fast, non-destructive technique to measure the amount of bran in flour.’
- ‘Whole-wheat flour, wheat bran, nuts and many vegetables are good sources of insoluble fiber.’
- ‘Hard white wheat has a unique combination of processing, bran color, and bran flavor properties.’
- ‘Foods that contain insoluble fibers are wheat bran, whole grain products and vegetables.’
Middle English: from Old French, of unknown origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.