One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thin block, typically one of a pair, which presses on to the disc in a disc brake.
- ‘The brake pad contacting surface of each of the side walls is formed with a wear-indicating projection adapted to be in frictional contact with a brake pad.’
- ‘The sound of the brake pad can double as a warning.’
- ‘Midway through the Wednesday ride the ‘thump, thump, thump’ of the rubbing brake pad gets considerably worse.’
- ‘The brake system includes a brake drum, a brake shoe, a brake pad, and a position sensor.’
- ‘The braking system is all-powerful to meet the car's performance levels, with improved air ducting and air flow to the front brakes, as well as a new brake pad material.’
- ‘For example, installing new front and rear brake pads on a vehicle equipped with four-wheel disc brakes could take 1 hour and 15 minutes.’
- ‘To fight a skipping brake, make sure you increase the pressure on the brake pad very gradually.’
- ‘The debris is a mixture of dirt and brake pad material that has adhered to the ceramic surface.’
- ‘Should the brake pad toe in so the fore area contacts the rim first?’
- ‘The only thing that held Marcus back was excessive brake pad wear.’
- ‘The brake pad compounds were optimised for rallying.’
- ‘This material transfer from brake pad to disk continues as long as the pad is in use.’
- ‘Then make sure the ‘wear line’ on the brake pad is still visible.’
- ‘‘People would come in to get a tyre changed or a new brake pad and they'd stay and just talk for however long it took to fix it,’ Ian says.’
- ‘My motorbike is currently wearing a little thin on rear brake pads and it's a battle to see which of us cracks first - it or me, finally getting round to taking it to the garage.’
- ‘Basically, the more pressure you use on the brake pad the faster you stop.’
- ‘It will surprise you how much brake pad you can use up, when you're scared to death!’
- ‘Because you can lower the brake pad as it wears down, or raise it as your braking skills improve, it's also appreciated by more experienced skaters.’
- ‘A sudden increase in brake pad orders indicates there is a problem with a particular pad.’
- ‘It starts the windscreen wipers when it begins to rain, keeps a constant tyre pressure check, monitors brake pad condition and, in an accident, activates the front, side and curtain airbags.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.