One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fluid used in a hydraulic brake system.
- ‘The Government plans to introduce a new EU directive which will require oil and brake fluid to be drained out of a car before it can be scrapped.’
- ‘Problems will also arise if too much water mixes with the oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, or antifreeze.’
- ‘Engine oil, fabric softener, chili pepper, transmission fluid or brake fluid are just some of the agents used, according to the deputy director of Police News Affairs.’
- ‘‘As a garage, we have particular concerns such as vehicle collision, sparks igniting inflammables such as petrol or brake fluid and also manual lifting,’ he said.’
- ‘To work, they require gasoline, oil, brake fluid, and so forth.’
- ‘And aside from knowing that a car needs petrol, water and brake fluid, I don't know where these things are located or whether they can be forced to drip out quite so easily.’
- ‘But when it comes to brake fluid and anti-freeze and cosmetics, manufacturers are accused of exploiting animals for commercial profit.’
- ‘The brake fluid in the master cylinder needs to be filled to the correct level.’
- ‘Knowing the condition of your brake fluid is crucial because it can absorb water, reducing the brakes' effectiveness.’
- ‘The engine is neatly covered under the hood, and a highly accessible layout makes routine checks of the brake fluid, power-steering fluid, the radiator water and others easy.’
- ‘The pistons have a thermal insulator and are drilled radially near the circumference in contact with the pads to limit the dissipation of heat to the hydraulic system's brake fluid.’
- ‘The next step - previewed at auto shows and due in showrooms within five years - sends hydraulic brake fluid the way of the buggy whip by using smart electric motors at each wheel to apply the brakes.’
- ‘An ingredient in antifreeze and brake fluid, it is also a widely used moisture-carrying ingredient in cosmetics.’
- ‘The car is then ‘depolluted,’ with its oil and brake fluid removed and stored for disposal.’
- ‘There are automated fluid fill (e.g., coolant, brake fluid, washer fluid, etc.) stations, as well.’
- ‘He protested that there was absolutely no brake fluid in the car - none - and the brakes were inoperable.’
- ‘Apparently, test candidates will have to know how to check their oil levels, tyre pressure, brake fluid and engine coolant.’
- ‘Hot brake fluid is one of the most oxidizing fluids within a car.’
- ‘Pouring corrosive fluid, like brake fluid or paint stripper, on vehicles, and spraying graffiti on homes and roadways seem to be the favorite forms of attack for these criminals.’
- ‘It is also important to check all fluids in your car such as the transmission fluid, brake fluid and power steering fluid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.