Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A block of hard material pressed against the rim of a wheel to slow it down by friction, especially on a bicycle.
- ‘So we were left to keep working on asbestos for the brake blocks on the London Underground, for example.’
- ‘He praised the ‘they-don't make-them-as-good-as-this-anymore’ character of my brake assembly, pointed out where one horse-shoe component was a little out of alignment and said he'd probably just replace the brake blocks.’
- ‘I bought some new brake blocks for my BMX today.’
- ‘That is all good, but for an extra $25 you can get XT brakes that are stronger, use cartridge brake pads instead of the LX solid brake blocks and weigh the same.’
- ‘No brake blocks are fitted and there is no braking system fitted to the rear wheel.’
- ‘This type of breaking relies upon one or two brake blocks of varying sizes located on the spool's spindles.’
- ‘She took a look at my bike for me, because she's good with things like that, and we ended up giving it new brake blocks and a new front tyre.’
- ‘When I got to work I did a final QA of the bike and found that a front brake block was loose and I had been cycling with the brakes on.’
- ‘They have always been one of the best names in brake blocks: these are quite long and have great stopping power.’
- ‘But by using the liquid control of the product in conjunction with either magnetic or fibre brake blocks you can achieve trouble-free maximum range all the time with no tension on the spool whatsoever.’
- ‘In this study, failed samples of railway brake blocks were analysed to ascertain the causes of failure.’
- ‘This invention relates to friction material such as used in brake blocks, pads and shoes in vehicle braking systems.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.